03 March 2016

Newborn Must Haves

After being a new mom for coming up on 2 months, I'm finally able to come up with a list of things that are MUST HAVES. These aren't items like a car seat or a stroller (of course you need those things), this is a list of things that we bought that have truly impacted the happiness of our child.



1. Skip Hop Duo Owl Night Light - This thing has been a LIFE SAVER. This is probably the thing that we couldn't live without. We even had our first night in a hotel about 2 weeks ago and took this. It shines stars on the ceiling (will be way more helpful for when she gets a bit older), plays a bunch of different tunes, and has a front night light that helps me for middle of the night wake ups! We keep the stars on as well as the nightlight to really just give us some ambiance in the room. The sound we keep it on 100% of the time is the heartbeat. This has been what she has listened to every night since we brought her home from the hospital, so this will definitely be a staple in our lives for much longer!

2. Summer Infant SwaddleMe Swaddles - This 3 pack of swaddles is worth EVERY PENNY! We have used these since day one and we like to think that it's the reason she started sleeping through the night around 4 weeks old! They are easy to put on and take off as well as easy to wash and dry. We are almost too long for them now, but they do have these in the next size up which we will most likely purchase since she still can't roll over to her tummy yet.

3. Muslin Swaddle Blankets - Aden & Anais is the most popular brand, but the ones I bought were off of Amazon because they were a gender neutral color (trying to keep most things grey/white for baby #2 (in the much distant future!) These things are AMAZING!!!! I really didn't know that I would love them this much. I keep one in my diaper bag for a blanket, nursing cover, changing pad, or pretty much anything else I need it for. I use them for bad spit ups and I always keep one on her changing table so that I can wash them instead of the changing pad cover. These wash and dry super easy and are huge but take up almost no space.

4. Bottle Warmer - This is something I never thought I would need, ever. But when I started pumping and letting my husband give her a bottle at night, we quickly realized that she hated cold milk. We tried the microwave, but she still seemed displeased. We found this Fisher Price bottle warmer on Amazon for $15 and quickly purchased it. It's awesome!! It used steam to barely warm the milk and it's exactly the temp our little one likes it. This might not be a must have for everyone, but it works great in our household!

5. MamaRoo - The best swing/bouncer around! I'm sure you've heard all about it or seen it everywhere. We actually spent a few nights sleeping in this since I couldn't make it up the stairs for the first few days home after my c-section. She loves the "Car Ride" motion the most (which is weird because she doesn't like car rides). We bought one off of Craigslist for $150 because I wasn't willing to spend full price on it. I am so glad I made the jump to buy a used one! We are now only taking about two 30 minute naps in it every day, but it's a great time for me to put her down and get stuff done around the house.

6. Sleepers - These are a million times better than gowns. I like them because they keep her feet warm during the night and they are super easy to put on. Even though they are harder to do middle of the night diaper changes in, she doesn't seem to mind. The gowns we have just aren't as practical for us. I've been buying the 2 or 3 packs at Target for just about $10 - $15 bucks, totally worth it. We even keep her in her "PJ's" until about mid-morning when we usually leave the house for either a walk or to go to the Y.

7. Bouncer - This has been awesome for getting more done around the house. I can carry it easily in one hand and her in the other. I use it in our bathroom (while I shower), our bed (while I put up laundry), and in our office (while I do this!) The toy bar comes off and we haven't even used that part yet! It vibrates, which she likes if she's already asleep, and she likes it when we push it to help her fall asleep. I just like it because it's so lightweight and easy to move
around.

8. Boppy Nursing Pillow - I use this more than I thought I would. It's great for nursing, obviously, as well as just letting her sleep in your arms. This has saved my back when I'm sitting on the couch or even in my glider. My husband loves it too, because it helps him when he feeds her the bottle! This is kind of one of the ones that you probably all assume you need, but I definitely like the boppy more than the other nursing pillows out there (I tried a few!)


What are some of your Newborn Must Haves? 
What are some things I need to buy for the next few months!?

Enjoy! 

No comments :

Post a Comment