18 August 2016

Hadley's Birth Story


Our birth story is way less stressful than the one that I thought I would be posting about one day. At about 35 weeks (early December) we had a scheduled ultrasound because I had been measuring several weeks ahead since about half way through our pregnancy. They were simply just checking her measurements to make sure she wasn't already a 9 pound baby. To my surprise, she was right on track, measuring 5 lbs 6 oz. However, the reason behind the measurements coming up further along than 35 weeks was because she was breech. Her head was sticking out so much that it was causing a bigger measurement. At this point, I was a little upset because I only had a few more weeks to get this little girl to change her positioning and I had no idea how to make it happen. The doctor didn't seem too worried about it at the moment because she had 5 weeks to turn. By the next week, she explained that we could try to turn her or simply schedule a c-section. The decision to not try to turn her was a hard one, but I was just too nervous that I might go into labor 3 weeks early and that she would be premature. Therefore, we scheduled a c-section for 39 weeks and 2 days on January 6th. The next few weeks were extremely stress free as we enjoyed Christmas and enjoyed knowing that I most likely wouldn't go into labor! 


On the 6th, we woke up at 4 AM to get to the hospital by 5:20 to start getting prepped for the c-section. We were able to leisurely register and start getting assessed by a nurse. Dave was able to enjoy his coffee, thank goodness! Needless to say, we were way too excited when 7:00 came around and they started to roll me down the hall to the OR. 





Dave had to wait in the hall while they did the spinal tap. However, 30 minutes later, after they had attempted to do the spinal tap THREE TIMES (all unsuccessful),  they turned to me and asked if I wanted them to continue trying or if I was okay going under general anesthesia. This decision was the quickest and easist decision I made the entire pregnancy because the spinal tap was very uncomfortable and I wanted it to end. Therefore, they quickly started moving everything around prepping for general anesthesia and before I knew it, I was waking up in the recovery room with my husband sitting next to me! 


 I was so excited to see him (even though I was very much out of it) but felt a little weird when I had no idea where my baby was. He was quick to pull up the pictures that he had taken on his camera of the OR and her getting her first bath. Luckily, I quickly found out that she was in the well baby nursery upstairs and that both of our families were already up there looking at Hadley through the window! Even though I wish I could've had my baby girl in my arms, knowing that she was okay set my mind at ease while I was in the recovery room. Before I knew it, I was seeing my little girl for the first time as they wheeled me to the nursery! Even though it was a bit weird not holding her yet, they quickly took me to my room and brought her in a few seconds later! 




The rest of our hospital stay went very well. I was on the quick road to recovery and Hadley was eating great! She was visited by both sets of her Grandparents, her Aunt Molly, Zach and his parents, cousin Maddy, Scott, the Garber's (who were a few doors down!) and her Great Grandma Lehman and Pop.

My parents 
Dave's Grandma 
Dave's Dad
Dave's Mom
My Sister
My Cousin, Maddy
We were in the hospital for 3 days (due to having a c-section) and we were more than ready to leave when we had the chance! The ride home was actually relaxing because we were so excited to be getting back to normal (as normal as we could with a new baby) and sleep in our own bed! 



I still can't believe that this all happened 7 months ago, but we were very fortunate for such an easy delivery and a super healthy baby girl! 

Enjoy, 

2 comments :

  1. LOVE! She is so precious!!! I'm kind of excited to have a winter baby b/c I feel like the last few months will go by quickly with all of the Holidays. Jesse and I are both summer babies, so celebrating a birthday in the winter will definitely be a change.

    http://dogmomchic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The holidays made the time go by so much quicker! We are both September babies, so we were stoked to find out it was any other month!!! HAHA!

      Delete